Tower Grove ParkApprox. Time: 2 hours
Activity Level: Easiest

In 1866, one year after the end of the Civil War, Henry Shaw drew up a proposal for Tower Grove Park. Two years later construction began on the Superintendent's House, the police station that once stood nearby, and the stone house for the park foreman and stables for the draft horses - all on the northern (Magnolia Avenue) edge of the park. The next expenditures were for a wooden fence around the park perimeter, and an arborvitae hedge - 19,500 feet long! -- just inside the fence, but these were followed immediately by the series of drains and gutters, carriage drives and all-weather (macadamized) walks that would soon draw people inside the fences. Twelve wells were dug to provide drinking water for horses as well as people; eight of these were adorned with small well-houses, four with more elaborate structures.