Swan HouseApprox. Time: 3 hours
Activity Level: Easy to Moderate

Swan House, an elegant classically styled mansion named for the swan motif found throughout its interior, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has become an Atlanta landmark.

Built in 1928 for Edward and Emily Inman, heirs to a cotton brokerage fortune, the house was designed by well-known Atlanta architect Philip Trammell Shutze, a graduate of the Georgia Institute of Technology, Columbia School of Architecture, and the American Academy in Rome, Italy. In Swan House and its gardens, together considered Shutze's finest residential work, he adapted Italian and English classical styles to accommodate twentieth-century living.

In 1966, the Atlanta Historical Society purchased the Swan House and most of its original furnishings, which range from eighteenth-century antiques to twentieth-century objects. The house opened to the public in 1967.

In 1982, Shutze bequeathed his research library along with his personal collection of decorative arts to the Society. Rotating selections from these collections are on exhibit in three second-floor rooms at Swan House. Shutze's collection, including antique Chinese export porcelain, English and European ceramics, American, Chinese, and English silver, rugs, paintings, furniture, and other objects-provides insights into his personal tastes. Shutze’s architecture and distinctive style had a profound influence on the style of Atlanta from the mid-1920s to the late 1940s.