Edinburgh University - The Old CollegeApprox. Time: 1 hours
Activity Level: Easiest

Edinburgh University, traditionally one of Scotland's medieval seats of learning, was founded by the town council of Edinburgh. Today it has more than 10,000 students and 1,500 staff. In the present century it has spread over a considerable geographical area, but it is fair to say that its heart remains the Old College, in South Bridge. The Old College, built in the classic style with a large quadrangle at its center, was designed by Robert Adam and begun in 1789. Following Adam's death it was completed by William Henry Playfair. The large dome, one of the landmarks of the city center, is by Sir Rowand Anderson and was added in 1883. The Old College building contains the Upper Library, generally regarded as one of the finest rooms in Edinburgh. Also within the Old College is the Talbot Rice Art Centre, which houses the Torrie Collection, a permanent display of sixteenth- and seventeenth-century European painting and sculpture in Playfair's magnificent gallery. The Talbot Rice centre is also a venue for temporary exhibitions.

Courtesy of the British Tourist Authority