Atomic Bomb Dome Approx. Time: 2 hours
Activity Level: Easy to Moderate

A memoir of the destruction caused by the first-ever Atomic Bomb. The A-bomb Dome standing quietly on the bank of the Motoyasu River is the remains of the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall, which was almost directly under the atomic bomb that exploded at 8:15 A.M., August 6, 1945. The name A-bomb Dome emerged spontaneously due to the shape left at the top of the destroyed building. After its construction in 1915, the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall was a modern, three-story brick building partially supported by reinforcing steel. The foundation covered 1023 square meters; the building stood 25 meters high. The exterior was stone and mortar, and the round tower covered by the oval roof was five stories high. This enormous European-style building became one of the best-known sights in Hiroshima. After the bombing in 1945 the A-bomb Dome became the focus of a controversy about whether to preserve or destroy it. In 1966 The City Council adopted a resolution to preserve the A-bomb Dome. Today the A-bomb Dome has become a common heritage of the human race.

Courtesy of Japan Tourism Board.