Eyre SquareApprox. Time: 1 hours
Activity Level: Easiest

Locally known as "the Square", this central plot was officially presented to the city in 1710 by Mayor Edward Eyre, from whom it took its name. Originally surrounded with a wooden fence, it was enclosed with iron railings in the late 1700s. These were removed in the 1960s, and subsequently re-erected around St Nicholas' Collegiate Church.

In 1965, the square was officially renamed "Kennedy Memorial Park" in honour of US President John F. Kennedy, who visited here shortly before his assassination in 1963.