St. Finbarr's Cathedral Approx. Time: 0 hours
Activity Level: Easiest

St. Finbarr's Cathedral was designed in mini-Gothic style by William Burgess and built on the site of St. Finbarr's original settlement (606 AD). This Early French Gothic structure is built proportionately to scale and features highly ornamented, beautiful mosaic work and rich carvings. William Burgess was obsessed with all things medieval - witness the detail - the soffits, gargoyles, birds and beasts, the rose-window, and the multitude of ornate carvings. The present building replaces two earlier churches and was completed in 1870.

The plan consists of a nave with two side aisles, north and south transepts, a beautiful absidal choir and an ambulatory running round the apse. The South Transept houses a cannon ball fired during the siege of 1690. Hanging from the ceiling in this transept is the Roll of Honour of parishioners killed during the Great War 1914 - 1918. The doorway in the boundary wall on Dean Street dates from 1600. St. Finbarre's has three spires - the tallest central tower and spire reaching 240 ft. The peal of 8 bells cast by Rudhalls of Gloucester are from a previous church and are hung in the north-west tower.