Place de la ConcordeApprox. Time: 1 hours
Activity Level: Easiest

The Place de la Concorde is the largest public square in Paris, constructed to hold an equestrian statue of Louis XV that the city of Paris commissioned in 1748 from Bouchardon to offer to the king. Once octagon-shaped and bordered by moats that no longer exist, la Place de la Concorde contrasted older closed squares as it served as both an intersection as well as a decoration. Today it’s appearance is similar to what it was in the eighteenth century.

Formerly the Place Louis XV, this famous square was renamed Place de la Revolution and crowned with a guillotine during the French Revolution. In 1793, Louis IV, Marie Antoinette, French revolutionary leaders Danton and Robespierre were beheaded along with 1300 victims during what would become known as the Reign of Terror. Renamed Place de la Concorde in 1794, the square is now home to the Egyptian obelisque and the magnificant neo-classical architecture of the Hotel de la Marine and the luxurious Hotel Crillon.