Church of Saint George (Keniset Mari Girgis)Approx. Time: 2 hours
Activity Level: Easy to Moderate

The current Church of Saint George (Keniset Mari Girgis) was originally built in 684 by Athanasius, who was a wealthy scribe. It was rebuilt in 1857. It is best known for the Qaa el-Arsan (wedding chamber), a masterpiece of design and decoration. This chamber dates from the 4th century and was reserved for Coptic marriage ceremonies.