Activity Level: Easy to Moderate
In 1140 King Vladislav II built a new monastery on the approach route to the Prague Castle. The monastery, which became known as the Strahov monastery wasn't much of a success until 1143, when a group of Premonstratensians settled here.
The new monastery soon started to prosper and in a short timeframe it became a center of intellectual and spiritual life. By the end of the 12th century, most of the original wooden buildings had been replaced by stone Romanesque buildings. The monastery was rebuilt in gothic style after a fire destroyed the complex in 1258. It continued to prosper until 1420 when it was plundered by Hussites. The monastery started to decline until the end of the 16th century, when most of the buildings were repaired. It was plundered and sacked again during the 30 years war (1618-1648). In the late 17th and early 18th Strahov Library Entrancecentury the monastery was expanded, this time in baroque style. After a bombardment by the French army in 1742 most of the medieval gothic buildings were rebuilt in baroque style.
The current buildings at the Strahov monastery were constructed mainly in the 17th and 18th century.