Our Lady of Assumption FortApprox. Time: 2 hours
Activity Level: Easiest

Initially called 'Schoonenborch", the fort was built by the Dutchman Matias Beck in 1549. Under the possession of the Portuguese in 1654, the fort came to be named "Our Lady of Assumption Fort". It underwent reforms projected by the architect Silva Paulet from São Paulo, being rebuilt in masonry in 1817, the year of the Ecuador Confederation. Currently it is the headquarters of the Tenth Military Region. The city of Fortaleza is named after this fort.